Where is the "Excuse Me"?

I am your typical American and everyone who knows me will agree with that 100%. I drive a gigantic SUV, watch Sunday football (American football!) and most of all love that I can buy all my groceries at one place- my gigantic Publix! This is not to say that when I travel, I do not indulge in some different activities, such as visiting the local market. For those of you that have not traveled outside the US borders, you are really missing out.

In nearly every foreign city, especially those in Europe, you can find a local market (typically in the town square) that sells everything from fruit to shoes. I was just in Croatia last week and we decided to visit the fruit and yummy cheese market in Split (they sell sheep cheese that is to die for). Before I go on, I want to tell you that the market is beautiful, the fruit is ripe and delicious and the shoes are Nine West- this is really a must see!

So, we entered the market, thinking this would be a leisurely stroll- boy were we wrong. One of my first encounters with a local lead to a smush and grind into my foot (OUCH!). The people shopping here mean business! The market is an everyday occurrence for the locals and just as we lose our patience and get annoyed with lines and crowds at our stores, so do they.

This beautiful novelty, so I thought, turned out to be a survival of the fittest. I was run into, stepped on and repeatedly pushed out of the way for I was only walking (not sprinting through the market). I was starting to think I took on some sort of super power that made me invisible (boy would my nephew think I was the coolest person ever). Since I am a pretty laid back person, I have to tell you that I thought this was all pretty amusing- in a painful kind of way. The day ended and fortunately I did not have to visit the Croatian hospital so all in all, it was a fun and interesting (to say the least) experience.

Do not let this deter you from the markets, they are great. I just want you to go prepared and warn you to bring your closed toed shoes and some heavy duty shoulder pads, you will need them.

0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий