Cold War Bunker...


I just returned from Russia, and I would like to say that one of the most intriguing places that I visited this time was the Cold War Bunker. If you are interested in Military History, or simply in a historic location that is very exciting and at the same time a break from the Museum–Palace route, I definitely recommend a stop at this recently-opened Bunker.

The entrance is deceivingly small. First, you hop on an elevator (or stairs, if you are up for it) and go down 18 floors to the Bunker. A series of long tunnels and metal stairs followed, while our Bunker guide told us more about its history. It is particularly fascinating to hear the Metro running above your head!! The very dark and cold tunnels got particularly scary at one point when suddenly all the lights shut off and the very loud emergency alarm went off! I just stood there… and I am glad it was completely dark, as I am sure I had a total “deer in the headlights” moment. My feeling was that the subway was going to come and run the deer (me) over but, as it turns out, it was no real emergency. Phew!

At the end, we were taken to a room for a wonderful special treat! The Red Army Choir was singing some Russian classics just for us. They were so talented and enthusiastic, and they completely put us in the mood for the vodka, tea and kasha (a porridge commonly eaten in Eastern Europe) that were waiting for us at the end.

The perfect end to such a unique day!

0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий