White Nights in Russia...

White Nights” is the time of the year when the sun never completely sets in places of high latitude, including northern Russia. The days are very long, and there is never complete darkness.

On my first night in St. Petersburg last July, I was restless. Our dinner ended around 10:00PM (in broad daylight) and somewhere between jet lag and peeking behind the hotel curtains every 30 minutes, I did not get much sleep.

When I returned from the dinner to my room, I started looking out the window. Soon it was midnight, and I could still see so many people out on the streets. It was almost impossible to tell how late it was. As exhausted as I was, I had an urge of going out on the streets – and almost did! I felt like I was missing out on valuable time by staying in my room, but my rational side told me I needed some rest. I finally managed to take a nap until I woke up and saw the sun shining so bright that it made me jump out of bed thinking I was late. It was 4:45AM!

I have to say … it was worth not resting for one night - it is not everyday that you get to see dusk at 1:00AM. Not in Florida anyway. We hear so much about the White Nights, but actually seeing it is definitely a whole new experience. Plus, the bonus daylight hours give you extra energy for long days of touring – I found it all fascinating.

And a perk for those interested in arts are the top-notch performances that happen at the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg. The “Festival of the White Nights” happens between May and July, and includes a series of ballet, opera and concert events including Russian and international renowned performers. Performance fans should not miss this time of the year in St. Petersburg – it is truly fantastic.

0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий