Shopping In Russia!

I just got back from 3 weeks of extensive traveling in Eastern Europe & Russia. To be honest, one of my favorite things in the world is shopping, so it was party time for me when I went to the Izmailovsky bazaar in Moscow. (Although I had to limit the size of my purchases or my luggage would explode – which it would have, if it wasn’t for Jade bringing back some of my stuff and Kevan with his super-handy extra duffle bag!)

The stands at Izmailovsky only take cash - but they take rubles, dollars and euros. Most of them speak some English, Spanish, Chinese and quite a few more languages that I did not even understand; just enough to make the sale. And they really want the business, so usually you can bargain with them. A general rule is that you can get the item for up to 30% lower than the asking price – the more you buy, the better the deal.

Well, I had been looking to buy a Faberge egg. You will see SO many of them in Russia – but if you see one you really like, buy it right away, because you will not find the same one again. I had seen so many beautiful eggs, but so far, none of them had sparked my eye enough to buy it. As I was strolling with Kevan, I saw a golden one that I just HAD to have - but it was bargain time, so I tried not to show my degree of interest. As I was looking at it, I also see another one that I like a lot. So I knew that my chances of getting a better price just doubled!

I looked at them for a while, and then I asked the man the price. He tells me each is $1500 rubles (roughly $60 dollars). I nod, hold them a little longer to show I’m considering, say thank you, and start walking away. After 3 steps, he yells that he will sell me both for $2500 rubles (about $100 dollars). I said I would think about it and walked away.

So we went around for a few minutes, and then returned. I told him I really liked the eggs, but I only had $80 dollars. He says he cannot sell them for that price or he will make no money, and asks me for $100 dollars. “But I only have $80 left”, I say.

I notice he really wants the sale as he asks me if I have any rubles left; I say I have 100 (about $4 dollars). He then offers me the eggs for $80 dollars and 500 rubles. I stick to my guns: “But I just don’t have that!”

So once again, I thank him and say I cannot buy them. But even before I could turn around to walk away: “Ok, ok, $80 dollars and 100 rubles.”

And the eggs were mine.

0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий